WHAT IS A HOME DETOX PROGRAMME?
PROMIS provides a complete detox treatment which is medically supported in the comfort of your own home rather than in a rehab centre. This ensures personal and professional confidentiality. With over 20 years of clinical expertise gained in treating drug and/or alcohol problems, we can provide support and advice every step of the way.
For those contemplating this option, it’s important to understand that there are significant risks involved and are not suited for every case of substance addiction. This programme is designed for patients with minor symptoms; we strongly urge those experiencing severe symptoms of addiction to consider drug and alcohol detox at one of our PROMIS centres.
HOW DOES A DETOX AT HOME WORK?
Before detox begins, every patient receives a comprehensive initial assessment. An experienced nurse will remain in the patient’s home 24 hours a day throughout the agreed detox period. Every patient is allocated their very own Personal Care Co-ordinator to provide advice and support to the family, educate about addiction, and advise on diet, exercise and other aspects of recovery.
Here are some of the services you can expect from detox at home:
- Initial Assessment within 24 hours
- Pre-detoxification support and advice
- Medical Nursing support throughout detox
- Post-detoxification advice
- Dedicated Personal Care Co-ordinator
- Non-residential home-based treatment
With PROMIS at-home detox, the treatment service provides a thorough and personalised experience. We cater for all substance-related issues, including alcohol or drugs.
DRUG HOME DETOX
Our drug detox from home covers a whole range of substances, which you can find out more about here. We understand that drug addiction can affect people in different ways, and sometimes, it can be difficult to escape from commitments at home to attend an inpatient detox centre. Drug detox is the first stage of overcoming addiction, where clearing harmful toxins from the body lays the path for rehabilitation.
As with any detox, you can expect to experience uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms as the body begins to purge itself from the substance. This process is delicate and requires professional intervention and close monitoring to ensure the patient’s health and safety. Although we provide detox medication and support throughout this process, we encourage all candidates for home treatment to undertake an assessment with us – this provides peace of mind for both parties to ensure the correct treatment service is provided and is adequate for the person.
We do not recommend, under any circumstances, attempting a detox alone.
ALCOHOL HOME DETOX
At PROMIS, we understand that alcohol dependence can hold a firm grip on anyone’s life. Alcohol addiction is fierce and is known for causing extreme withdrawal symptoms, especially for those with high alcohol consumption. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms range from mild to severe and should always be assessed by professionals prior to entering treatment.
Here are some of the most common alcohol withdrawal symptoms:
- Tremors (especially in the hands)
- Loss of appetite
- Increased blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
- Increased body temperature
- Rapid breathing
- Mood swings
Severe Symptoms (Delirium Tremens):
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there)
- Severe confusion and disorientation
- Profound agitation
- Intense tremors
Other Possible Symptoms:
- Increased heart rate
- Excessive sweating
It’s important to note that alcohol withdrawal symptoms can vary in intensity and duration based on several factors, including the duration and severity of alcohol use, individual health status, and previous withdrawal experiences. Severe symptoms, such as delirium tremens, require immediate medical attention and typically require admission to residential alcohol rehab.
A detox from alcohol at home comes with its risks, and at PROMIS, we evaluate every patient before offering a treatment service. To detox safely, we consider every aspect and factor of a patient’s circumstances and provide a thorough assessment to determine the best course of action.
RISKS OF A HOME DETOX SERVICE
A home alcohol detox and home drug detox are not a walk in the park. Although they provide flexibility and comfort in terms of staying at home, they also create certain risks and dangers that every patient must consider.
LIMITED MEDICAL SUPERVISION
While we provide a medical detox in the comfort of your home, please note that the supervision starts and ends relatively quickly. Without admission at our private rehab facility, a patient is limited to the hours of care and attention throughout the detox process. If there are medical complications, the risks increase, and the potential for grave consequences are high.
MENTAL HEALTH COMPLICATIONS
Drug or alcohol detoxification can exacerbate underlying mental health conditions like anxiety, depression and psychotic issues. Treating these conditions usually requires 24/7 supervision, especially if the patient has self-harm or suicidal tendencies.
Alcohol abuse is regarded to have some of the worst symptoms regarding withdrawal. Those with severe symptoms and high alcohol intake may require treating alcohol addiction with round-the-clock care. Alcohol and drug withdrawal is serious and should only be attempted alongside experienced professionals.
RISK OF A RELAPSE
Home detox treatment doesn’t require leaving the house. This detox option exposes stressors and familiar surroundings that have the potential to trigger the use of drugs or consuming alcohol. Having a strong family support unit is crucial and should be evaluated before considering treatment at home.
BENEFITS OF A DETOX AT HOME
Although there are certain risks involved when undergoing a home detox, those who meet the criteria can benefit hugely from the ease of this service.
COMFORT AND FLEXBILITY
Home detoxification offers comfort and flexibility throughout the process. Within the walls of your own home, you have the option to remain where you feel most relaxed and have the flexibility to remain committed to work or childcare obligations.
Safety is paramount. Detox is usually uncomfortable, but with PROMIS, we ensure your safety at all times. This is our number one priority, and we only offer this service to those we feel are low-risk after the initial assessment.
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
A private alcohol home detox is exactly what it says on the tin. We pride ourselves on supplying the utmost privacy and confidentiality for our patients.
Family support is a massive factor in terms of support. Having the family supporting you through every step of the process provides the rock you need to quit the drugs or stop drinking alcohol.
PROMIS provides ongoing care for patients following detoxification. We have a multitude of aftercare services and resources to continue on the road to recovery.
IS IT SAFE TO PERFORM AN ALCOHOL DETOX AT HOME?
To safely detox from alcohol or other drugs, a full pre-detoxification assessment must be completed. Attempting to detox from alcohol and other substances without professional help is considered to be dangerous and irresponsible. A professional medical detox is fundamental to success. Without this, the likelihood of failing, relapsing, or encountering medical complications is extremely high. Always seek professional advice before considering detox as part of your rehabilitation plan.
REQUIREMENTS FOR HOME DETOX CANDIDATES
Pre-detoxification aims to provide the patient with clear information about the home detox process, including specifics concerning the proposed start and finish date, treatment plan and contact information.
Here are some of the requirements that candidates for this programme should meet:
- Medical Assessment: Candidates must undergo a thorough medical assessment to ensure they are physically and mentally suitable for this option. This assessment often includes reviewing their medical history, substance use history, and current health status.
- Stable Living Environment: A stable, supportive, and substance-free environment is crucial. This helps reduce the risk of relapse and ensures the individual has a safe space for recovery.
- Support System: Having a solid support system in place, such as family members or friends who understand the process and are committed to helping, is essential. This support can provide emotional and practical assistance during the detoxification period.
- Mild to Moderate Withdrawal Symptoms: This option is generally more suitable for individuals expected to experience mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms. Severe withdrawal symptoms or a history of complicated withdrawal (like seizures or delirium tremens) typically require a more controlled clinical setting.
- No Co-occurring Serious Mental Health Conditions: Individuals with serious co-occurring mental health conditions, such as severe depression, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia, may need more specialised care than what can be provided at home.
- Commitment to Recovery: The individual must be committed to the process and willing to follow the guidelines and treatment plan set out by healthcare professionals.
- Access to Medical and Professional Support: There should be easy access to medical and professional support throughout. This might include regular check-ins with a healthcare provider, access to emergency services, and the availability of counselling or therapy.
- Understanding of the Process: Candidates should clearly understand what this process involves, including potential risks and the importance of adhering to the treatment plan.
Each patient is an individual, and our effective treatment plan is designed to suit their needs. If this service is not considered appropriate – other forms of treatment can be provided/discussed.
HOME DETOX UK WITH PROMIS
If you or a loved one experience alcohol dependence or drug issues and think you may benefit from a home detox, contact PROMIS and begin a free assessment. UK home detox has never been easier; start the journey to sobriety today.