Recovering from addictions, compulsions and depressions is a serious business and at PROMIS our patients work very hard at their recoveries in various therapy sessions all through the week.
This reminds us the importance of having balance in our lives and that we need inspiration for our recovery and to enhance our healing. Moreover, we often need to learn how to have fun again after years of feeling wretched.
One of the regular activities that PROMIS is proud to offer is the opportunity to go sailing. Being out in the sea is a challenging yet a very rewarding hands-on experience.
PROMIS has access to a 32 foot Westerly Fulmer sailing boat run by RYA approved instructors who will show you the ropes of handling a yacht with patience and also ensure your safety.
Benefits of Sailing
- Contributes to overall aerobic fitness, which is associated with a reduced risk of obesity, hypertension, and heart disease.
- Increases anaerobic capacity. Improves flexibility and agility.
- Promotes cardiovascular health.
- Develops muscle strength and helps build up muscle endurance.
- Being out in the open sea facilitates relaxation of the mind. The sound of the water alters the wave patterns of the brain into a relaxed state.
- Studies show that sea air is charged with healthy negative hydrogen ions that accelerate the body’s ability to absorb oxygen and enhance the immune system. It also helps balance the levels of serotonin, a chemical produced by the body that is associated with mood and stress.
You can fill out this form or call us directly